11 Sep 2018
Android is owned by majority of consumers but do you wonder what makes it so popular? Here, let me tell some some lesser known facts about Android which will leave you flabbergasted.
- Android operating system was not originally owned by Google. At first, it was developed by Android Inc., but was later bought by Google for $50 million.
- At first Android platform was developed for digital cameras but was later focused on smart phone, when developers realized its potential.
- At first, Android operating system was launched as Linux based software system by developers in November 5, 2007.
- In year 2008, the first ever Android powered smart phones were launched. HTC Dream or T_Mobile G1 is the first ever mobile to run on Android Platform.
- Android operating system has been released in a lot of versions, where every release has been following an alphabetical order in naming. The names are Android Astro (1.0), Bender (1.1), Cupcake (1.5), Donut (1.6), Eclair (2.0), Froyo (2.2.x), Gingerbread (2.3.x), Honeycomb (3.0), Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.x), Jelly Bean (4.x) and KitKat (4.4), Lollipop , Marshmallow and Oreo.
- There are more than Billions of devices powered by Android system having subscriptions on devices like smartphones and Tablets.
- Apart from first two versions of Android, i.e., 1.0 and 1.1, all other Android versions are named after sweet treats such as Ice cream sandwich, jelly beans, Kitkat, Oreo etc.
- It is Andy Rubin who is the co-creator of Android, it was the name given to him at Apple before joining Google, for his obsession and love for robots.
- You can also find Android powered devices floating in the space. NASA equipped floating space robots with Nexus S Handsets and the device particularly runs on Gingerbread Android version.
- Android means a male robot which is also depicted in its logo. Whereas Gynoid is a female looking robot.
- Most of the you might think that the name of Android’s logo character is also Android, but its not true. The actual name of Android Mascot is Bugdroid, though this is not official, Google team call it by this name.
- Apart from smart phones and tablets various other devices are also Android powered including cameras, Google Glass, Watches and so on.
- Android is actually open source which allows interested users to add features to the operating system. They can also modify the existing code of operating system. Since Google is a member of Open Handset Alliance (OHA), they enabled this option to the users.
- Major advantage of being an Android owner is its apps, its app store “Google play” has more than 48 billion app installs, of which most of them are free.